JULY 16, 2014
Did you know … homemade recipes from Triple R help keep flies from biting your horse
The web is full of homemade fly spray and repellant recipes and ideas. Please research and use your own judgment and always check with your veterinarian when in doubt.
Whenever a fly spray recipe calls for citronella, you should use 100 percent pure citronella oil. It is a plant based product. You should not use citronella oil that is sold for an outdoor torch.
• Use bacon grease or petroleum jelly where the flies like to bite the horses, base of ears, under jaw, etc.
• Hang a Ziploc bag with water and pennies.
• Add 1/4 (one quarter) cup of apple cider vinegar on their grain once a day. This raises the blood acid level just enough to bother the flies, but it is completely healthy for the horse. It takes about one week to start seeing the effects. Or put vinegar in the horse's drinking water during the summer to repel flies and mosquitoes.
• 3 cups of water / 1/4 (one quarter) cup sugar / 1/4 (one quarter) cup white vinegar. Mix, punch holes in the lid, and set it where needed.
• Mix about 1 1/2 (and a half) cups of plain white vinegar into about every 75 gallons of water in your horse's water tub. If you use this in the water about a week before flies start biting, it will have circulated in your horse and it helps keep flies from biting.
The following items are mixed and sprayed on the horse (avoid eyes):
• 6 caps full of Skin So Soft / 1 cup white vinegar / just a good squirt of Ivory liquid soap / Mix in a 32 oz spray bottle with water.
• 1 cup vinegar / 1 cup baby oil / 1/4 (one quarter) cup original pinesol / 1 Tbls dish soap / 1 Tbls skin so soft / 1 cup water.
• Half Pinesol and half water.
• 4 oz Skin So Soft / 1 oz citronella oil / 12 oz vinegar / 12 oz water.
• 1 cup water / 1 cup Avon Skin So Soft Bath Oil / 2 cups white vinegar / 1 Tbls. Eucalyptus oil / Optional: few tablespoons of citronella oil.
• 2 cups light mineral oil / 1/2 cup lemon juice / 2 tsp. citronella oil / 2 tsp. eucalyptus essential oil / 2 tsp. lemon dish soap.
• 18 oz white vinegar / 2 Tbls dish washing soap.
• White vinegar and two tablespoons of dish soap. Add water if you wish to dilute it a little.
• 15 oz water / 5 oz commercial fly spray ( any brand) / 5 oz vinegar / 2 oz vegetable oil / 2 oz green Dawn dish soap.
Triple R Horse Rescue volunteers needed
If you are interested in helping out in any of the below areas please email email@example.com
1. Grant and fundraising
2. Collecting donations for the live and silent auctions at the Hope for Horses Gala.
3. Marketing - help distribute posters / flyers. Assist with signage for event.
4. Wine Toss - secure several cases of wine to use for the wine toss game at the Gala.
They are looking for volunteers willing to submit quotes about why they love Triple R or why they enjoy working at the rescue.
Additionally, they are looking for volunteers to submit pictures they've taken while at the rescue.
Any quotes and or photos can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be featured in the slide show at the Gala.