MARCH 5, 2014
Kiwanis Club of Carefree Art Enrichment Internship Application deadline is April 2
The Kiwanis Club of Carefree Art Enrichment Internship encourages the development of outstanding students from the Desert Foothills area who excel in the visual arts fields. The program is now in its eleventh year. Funding for the program is provided through the generosity of the Kiwanis Club of Carefree.
Six to eight students will be selected to take the course of their choice this summer at the nationally renowned Scottsdale Artists’ School located in downtown Scottsdale. For information about the school visit www.scottsdaleartschool.org.
The Internships must be used during June or July of 2014. The internship funds will be sent directly to the Scottsdale Artists’ School to cover tuition costs.
• The Applicant must be entering freshman, sophomore or junior year in the fall of 2014. The winners must be attending Cactus Shadows High School, a local home schooling program or can be a local student attending an alternative school.
• Seniors are not eligible for this internship. The Kiwanis Club of Carefree would like the winners to be able to bring back what they learned to their local fall art courses.
• The Applicant must be a legal resident of Arizona and willing to sign a commitment to complete their course of choice.
• The Applicant will be expected, upon completion of their art course, to give a short talk about their experiences in their summer art class to the Kiwanis Club of Carefree at a Kiwanis luncheon in winter of 2015.
• Students interested in applying for an internship must complete the Student Application, and submit a completed Parental Permission Form and a completed Teacher Recommendation Form.
Applications must be received no later than 3 p.m., Wednesday April 2, 2014. Be sure to allow at least three extra days if you mail your application.
Applications will be available from the Art Department at Cactus Shadows High School and on the Kiwanis Club of Carefree website: www.kiwaniscarefree.org. Click on "Art Enrichment Internship" in the drop down column.
The winners will be announced at The Celebration of the Arts at Cactus Shadows Fine Arts Center on April 10, 2014.
The Scottsdale Artists’ School offers a wide variety of courses and there is something for every interest. In general, summer classes consist of four 3-hour sessions, one day a week, either from 9 a.m. until noon, or from 1 to 4 p.m., during the months of June and July. You may, as an alternative to going to the Scottsdale Artists’ School, find a mentor of your own choosing, subject to the approval of the Internship Committee.
Course description pamphlets for the summer classes at the Scottsdale Artists’ School will be available from the school in the late spring, and will be on their website. Each winner will receive the course offerings as soon as the school publishes them.
Virginia Brooks, Internship Facilitator, is available to help with any questions you may have about the Scottsdale Artists’ School or the application process. You may contact Ms. Brooks at 480-220-6696.
The Kiwanis Club of Carefree is a 501.c3 organization, “Building the Future for Kids.” For more information about youth programs or membership, please call the Kiwanis Club of Carefree at 480-488-8400 or visit www.kiwaniscarefree.org.
Mail or deliver applications to:
Ms. Virginia Brooks
P.O. Box 2616
7402 Sundance Trail
Carefree, AZ 85377
Ms. Deborah Wales or
Ms. Marcia Lang
Arts Department Mail Box
Cactus Shadows High School
5802 East Dove Valley Road
Cave Creek, AZ 85331