MAY 8, 2013
ADE partnering with nonprofit to improve parent information and family support in special education
Partnership between ADE and Raising Special Kids will provide increased support for parents with special needs children
PHOENIX – On October 1, 2012, the Arizona Department of Education (ADE) and Raising Special Kids began forging a partnership to strengthen and improve the delivery of parent training and assistance in special education. This partnership is committed to providing a coordinated network to help parents of children with the full range of disabilities understand their roles and responsibilities in special education.
As of July 1, 2013, Raising Special Kids and the ADE Parent Information Network (PIN) will merge their parent training activities to create a “one-stop shop” for parents to increase their knowledge and skills for participation and decision-making in special education. The resources currently provided by the PIN, including documents, trainings, and the lending library, will be available through Raising Special Kids.
The July 1 merger will feature the following for parents, school districts and other professionals:
• Statewide parent information and training on various topics to assist parents in:
– understanding the special education process
– working with professionals to understand and support their child
– learning advocacy skills to appropriately participate in meetings
• Special Education resource documents on a variety of topics
• A local, regional, and national disability resource directory
• Access to a DVD lending library featuring special education and disability topics
• Regional support teams in Northern Arizona, Central Arizona, Southern Arizona
• A toll-free help line for parents staffed by trained and knowledgeable specialists
• All information, training and support provided in English and in Spanish
For more information about the programs, please contact: Christopher Tiffany
Director of Family Support and Education, Raising Special Kids, 602-242-4366, email@example.com.